Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Very Sad Day

Judge Iree W. Pope
Me and Iree
Iree (in the suit) and me in the Pink pants and more family on some holiday

Mother's Day was a very sad day in my family. It started out very nice because my new mother-in-law had lunch for everyone (including my sister and parents). Then right after lunch my mom's cell phone rang. It was the dreaded call. Although it was expected but I just did not want it to happen. My great-aunt (more of a grandmother to me) passed away. She had battled Alzheimer's for the past 10 years. Last Monday she went to Heartland Hospice (here in Augusta, great place by the way) and she did not even eat or drink anything for a week. Her heart was strong! She started that labored breathing on Saturday so we knew it was close. She was like a mother to my dad and like a grandmother to me so maybe her dying on Mother's Day was a good thing.

I used to spend every weekend or most anyway with her and her husband, Otto. They loved me dearly. We would drive around in his convertible Cadillac and he would "bump" people as he called it. Man, he would get arrested these days for that! Or maybe he was just pretending for my sake!? I would love to ask him now. Maybe one day! Her husband called her tickle-britches! How sweet is that? They loved us they even gave us a piano and bought us anything we wanted. In college Iree would send me money and tell me to "buy a pretty dress!" Because...she wore high heels and dressed up every day of her life (except the last few months).

She was a probate judge her in town for 40 years. I work help her "work" and I remember getting $20. That was huge back then. Read below for her obituary. Although she has not really "known" (recognition but not my name) me in the last 5 years she would still tell me that she loved me. Actually one time I told her who I was because she couldn't tell me my name and she said, "You must be related to me! " "Yep, I sure am!" I said.

The last thing she said to me (she wasn't talking at hospice) was Bye, Iree. I real loud said BYE Iree before I left the hopsital and she repeated what I said! :)

Tonight is the visitation and I am probably not going to hold up real well. I don't do well with things like this!

AUGUSTA, Ga. - Judge Iree W. Pope, 91, entered into rest on Sunday, May 11, 2008 at Heartland Hospice, following a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Graveside services and interment will be held at 11:00 am on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at Westover Memorial Park, with Father Michael Lubinski officiating. Born July 26, 1916, in Screven County, Georgia, Rose Iree Williams left the farm and moved to Augusta, Georgia, under the watchful eye of her brother, W. E. "Bill" Williams, until she married Otto W. Pope. Judge Pope began her public service as a typist with the Richmond County Court of Ordinary, now Probate Court, on April 15, 1943. She became Clerk of the Court of Ordinary on November 15, 1947 and was later elected Judge and served from January 1, 1957 until February 16, 1998. She was re-elected to office ten "10" times and only had opposition once. Her term, of active service as Judge, lasted for more than 40 years. Pursuant to Georgia Law, she became Judge Emeritus, of the Probate Court, in February of 1998. Judge Pope attained, heretofore, un-reached positions, for a woman. She was the first woman elected Judge of any court, in Richmond County, Georgia, was the first woman in Georgia to serve on the Board of Directors, of a Federal Savings and Loan Association, Home Federal Savings and Loan Association, the first county official, to record by microfilm and the first county official to facilitate live television coverage, of election returns. She was also the only woman to serve on the Georgia Election Laws Study Committees, appointed by Governor Marvin Griffin and by Governor Ernest Vandiver and to serve on the Constitutional Revision Committee, appointed by Governor Carl Sanders. Her public and political activities included the following: member, secretary and treasurer of the Ordinaries Association of Georgia, secretary of the County Officers Association of Georgia, Vice President of the local Democratic Party and member of the State Democratic Executive Committee. Her public civic activities included the following: President of the Augusta Area Mental Health Association, Lieutenant Governor and Governor of Quota Club International. She was a member of the Advisory Committee of Half-Way House, Augusta Area Mental Health Association, Director, Secretary and Treasurer of Augusta Richmond County Law Library. Judge Pope, for many years, engaged in fund raising activities for the Cancer Fund and the United Way. Judge Pope is listed in the 6th Edition of Whose Who in American Women. Judge Pope was preceded in death by her husband, Otto W. Pope and her brother W. E. "Bill" Williams. Survivors include her nephews, William J. Williams and wife, Brenda R. Williams, W. Robert Williams and wife, Ann C. Williams, C. Thomas Williams and wife, Emily Williams, Harold Sullivan and Charles Pope, all of Augusta, niece Joan Mura and husband, Ryan Mura, of Atlanta, great nieces and nephews, Jennifer W. Neal, Amanda B. Williams, William Walker, Henry Williams, Ginger Sitler, Andrea Armstrong, Michele Durand, Robert Williams, Laura DeVoe and Carter Williams, sisters in law, Lorine B. Williams and Virginia Pope. The family will receive friends on Tuesday, May 13, 2008, from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, at Platt's Crawford Avenue. Pallbearers will be Judge Daniel J. Craig, Judge Richard A. Slaby, Patrick J. Rice, Larry I. Smith, James F. Findlay and Edward B. Stalnaker. Honorary Pallbearers will be the Richmond County Judiciary, members of Augusta Bar Association and Richmond County Probate Court staff. If so desired memorials may be made to the Alzheimer's Association, Georgia Chapter, 1899 Central Avenue, Augusta, GA 30904.

6 comments:

The Birds Nest said...

Wow!! What an amazing woman!! I'm sorry for your loss.

Amy said...

Jenn, I am so sorry to hear about Iree...We are you thinking about you and your family this week

Dena said...

Dude - I am sooo sorry - that just SUCKS!!!

LeslieW. said...

I am so sorry for your loss. God bless your family during this time. I remember you talking about her fondly in college, I know she will be missed.

jenniedub said...

Thanks for everyone's kind words! :)

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounded like an amazing person!